Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

Cancer immunology at UofT


UofT is a hotbed of cancer research due to a combination of lots of hospitals, history, history, and various cancer research institutes born from that weighty history. Everyone Many medical doctors, cell biologists, developmental biologists, biochemists, and geneticists have a finger in the cancer pie at UofT, although this is strictly my impression and may not be true at all. Not. Anyway, I only bring it up because the Globe and Mail had an article about how researchers were able to use IL-7 to boost the effectiveness of a live viral vaccine for their cancer model. I'm usually bleh about cancer immunology... and this is no exception. I haven't read it because I should really be studying for exams, but Tak Mak is a co-author on it and I've been really curious as to what Tak Mak studies nowadays. Tak Mak is best known for cloning the T cell receptor beta gene in humans (Steve Hedrick and Mark Davis cloned TCRbeta in mice only a slight bit earlier, I think), a textbook, and being featured in annual October musings about Swedish gold. So I'll probably read this at some point and if it's interesting, I'll add it to my write-up pile.

Back to exams!

No comments: