Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hijacking of the victim immune response by insect venom?


I just gave a small presentation on how alum and other particulate adjuvants work via the "danger" signal system that is the NLRP3 inflammasome, with summaries here. I won't bother summarising anything here about it because it has already been done rather well at the link I just provided. I also feel lazy. Anyway while preparing my presentation, I did a last minute check on Pubmed for any new developments and apparently hyaluronan (among everything as it seems) triggers the NLRP3 inflammasome to produce IL1β.1 Hyaluronan is a component of the extracellular matrix and it is released at a site of injury. By happenstance, I found out while trolling Google that insect venom contains hyaluronidase which obviously breaks down hyaluronan but also promotes the production of IgE and IgG1.2,3 I think it's pretty neat that hyaluronidase in insect venom is an adaptation to adjuvant the victim's allergic response to insect stings.

yay I learned something today



1. Yamasaki K, Muto J, Taylor KR, Cogen AL, Audish D, Bertin J, Grant EP, Coyle AJ, Misaghi A, Hoffman HM, Gallo RL. NLRP3/cryopyrin is necessary for IL-1beta release in response to hyaluronan, an endogenous trigger of inflammation in response to injury. J Biol Chem. 2009 Mar 3 (epublication ahead...) doi:10.1074/jbc.M806084200
2. King TP. (haha sorry he must have gotten shit as a kid) Venom Allergenicity: Hyaluronan Fragments Promote Ige And Igg1 Response In Mice. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009 Feb; 123(2): S1, page S99 doi:10.1016/j.jaci.2008.12.355
3. King TP, Spangfort MD. Structure and biology of stinging insect venom allergens. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2000 Oct;123(2):99-106. doi: 10.1159/000024440

No comments: